For photos from the Meadowlands contact Lisaphoto@playmeadowlands.com

Monday, February 27, 2012

A Guarantee Rises and Harness Racing on Television

Officials at Cal Expo were so pleased with the response to their late Pick 4s this past weekend that they have now increased their guarantee to $20,000 both on Friday and Saturday with the 15% takeout except on Friday, if you wager on track or through a particular ADW, you get a bonus to offset the takeout if you have a winning ticket.  This past Saturday, with a $15,000 guarantee, the total mutuel pool for the late Pick 4 which was shown live on TVG was $37,406.  I expect this week with the higher guarantee, the pool will be even higher.

Thanks to Gina who discovered this video gem which is on YouTube.  When you watch this clip you are sure to get a chuckle over it. 




I remember there was an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies where Mr. Dreysdale convinced Granny to buy a trotter because she wanted a horse and Dreysdale wanted a horse that could earn money.  All I remember is Granny was upset because she couldn't get the horse to do anything but trot. 

Then there was an ABC television movie called Leave Yesterday Behind from 1978 starring Carrie Fisher and the late John Ritter played a paraplegic who eventually ended up helping training standardbreds with Carrie Fisher. 



And finally, on the original Bob Newhart Show there was an episode where it was Christmas Eve, cold and snowing, and Emily and Bob were seeing what was on television and they came across harness racing from a Chicago track.  You don't see the race but you hear the call.  If memory serves me correctly, Bob deadpanned "They don't stop for anything do they?" 

Does anyone else remember a television show or television movie with standardbreds in it? 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pacingguy : Congrats for uncovering that old footage from
"I Love Lucy". I certainly hope that your keen readers recognize some of the markings in the background that will tip you as to where this was filmed.

Some hints :

[1] The tower booth in the backstretch.

[2] The infield markings and the toteboard circa 1950.

[3] The give-away : the grandstand briefly seen in the background as the field swings for home.

In short, a classic.

That Blog Guy said...

I can't take credit for the I Love Lucy footage; Gina brought it to my attention.

My initial thought was Roosevelt Raceway from the track lighting. If it is Roosevelt, it was before the final grandstand was built. However, I suspect I am be wrong.

JLB said...

Definitely Roosevelt Raceway

Scott Jeffreys said...

Dear Pacingguy : I raised the original riddler yesterday - yes, this is Roosevelt Raceway before the new grandstand and toteboard were introduced. Look carefully and you can see the twin RR logo in the infield and the judges tower along the backstretch.

Sincerely, Scott

That Blog Guy said...

I loved Roosevelt Raceway and there are times I wish I was around to see the old Roosevelt Raceway. I know there were at least two Grandstands there, having moved the final Grandstant to the other side of the track.

In the back of my mind, something tells me there was actually three grandstands there. Can anyone confirm or deny that?