For photos from the Meadowlands contact Lisaphoto@playmeadowlands.com

Monday, May 18, 2009

Welcome

I would like to welcome you to View From the Grandstand; a fan's view on harness racing and the issues the sport faces today.

Why this blog when there are others related to harness racing?

Harness racing, as other forms of pari-mutuel racing, faces many problems. While many people in the industry are offering suggestions to deal with issues the sport is facing, they are approaching the issues from their own perspective. Breeders, owners, trainers, drivers, racetrack owners, and gamblers are representing their segement of the industry as they should, but without concern for other stakeholders. This is a problem; to work through the problems harness racing has requires cooperation. As a former standardbred owner and current fan, it is my hope to offer my opinions on the issues of today. As a person who currently looks at the sport as a fan, I have no agenda other than the love of the sport. Hopefully, those who read my comments will be able to accept my comments in this context; hoping to better the sport we love. As such, the conversation at View from the Grandstand will be civil as hopefully will be your comments.

Will some of my suggestions be stinkers? Some too simplistic? Perhaps. However, even if you don't agree with everything I post, hopefully there will be value in reading my thoughts.

I refuse to believe harness racing is on it's death bed. Yes, there are problems but there are great horses and stories to be told. Hopefully we will be able to discuss those as well.

Welcome to View from the Grandstand. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog as I hope to have writing it.

No comments: