For photos from the Meadowlands contact Lisaphoto@playmeadowlands.com

Monday, October 10, 2016

Here you are, ladies and gentlemen ...

by Peter Lawrence, VFTRG Contributor

... the fastest mile in harness racing history, 1:46, by Always B. Miki today in the Allerage Open Pace at Lexington's Red Mile!

You had a nice run, Cambest p, T1:46.1, and those other four (four?) 1:46.4 race miles over the years.

Gotta note two cute quotes by the TV announcing talent in the moments leading up to the race ...

"The crowd is all over Always B. Miki like a chubby kid chasing a Cheeto." - Sam McKee, and ...

"Always B. Miki is a supermarket trip away from $1 million won this year." - Gabe Prewitt.
I admit it ...




I was rocking in my seat here at Freehold Raceway as Miki came through the lane, urging him to the record. I don't know if I've done that more than a handful of times since watching Armbro Nesbit pacing home in, I think, 1:56 and change at Yonkers Raceway several decades ago.

I think it was the all-time YR track record at the time, and a significant mark.

I watched that race on TV, too, on the well-remembered "Racing from Yonkers" show at my parents' Catskills country home.

Geez, ten seconds slower than today's mile, and it was equally spectacular.

By the way, I was the only one here who clapped after Always B. Miki's victory.

I didn't even look to see if anyone was watching me.

No comments: