Well in New Zealand, there is Stig. While he was not "Amished", he was found working in a double sulky at a tourist attraction near Christchurch Airport; three years after his initial retirement.
Stig has re-retired from racing due to an injury; this time for good. I don't know if it was the noise working near an airport or a desire to get away from his job, but Stig was inspired. How inspired? After his return to the racing wars Stig:
- Defeated champion trotter I Can Doosit in the Cambridge Trotters Flying Mile where he set his lifetime mark of 1:55.1.
- Defeated I Can Doosit again the following week in the National Trot in Auckland
- A few months later, won the prestigious Rowe Cup
- Compiled a record of 32-8-7-3 record, including an Australian campaign earning (NZ)$363,929 from the age 9-11.
- Won at distances from 1609 meters (1 mile) to 3200 meters. From mobile starts to standing starts, giving up to a 25 meter handicap. After his first retirement, he won 2 Grade 1 events; 1 Grade 2; 1 Grade 3 race. Who wouldn't love to have a horse like him in their stable? (If you wish, you can see some of his victories here.)
The lesson here? Maybe a trainer would do well to skip the sales and go shaking the bushes looking for a retired horse that looks sound. Better yet, find out who took care of Stig during his second career and buy them a one way ticket to the States.