I know I said I was not going to right anymore about the Meadowlands until a decision was made but a new story has come out indicating Governor Christie is losing faith that a Meadowlands deal will get done.
According to the report, when asked about the chances of a deal being made, the Governor stated: We might. I’m not anticipating that we will. We’re still working.”
You can't blame the Governor for thinking this way. It certainly will be a photo finish to cut a deal in time as the teller's union is voting tomorrow night. If the deal falls through, the Meadowlands presumably will remain closed until late July when it opens for a one week Hambletonian festival meet at which time the future of the Meadowlands will be in greater doubt. At that point, the NJSEA can be ordered to move in the wrecking balls, or perhaps someone else will attempt to come in and save the Meadowlands. Maybe Gural will make another attempt at a later time, but that assumes the Governor still has a willingness to lease the Meadowlands. By the time someone decides to try again, Atlantic City may be in even greater distress and the Governor may not be interested in leasing the track out as it would require racing to get a share.
A yes vote means a deal can get done now. A no vote, puts the whole future of the Meadowlands at risk.
Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail.