For photos from the Meadowlands contact Lisaphoto@playmeadowlands.com

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Leveling the Playing Field

In all the excitement of the Adios I forgot to mention that the Meadows introduced a new starting gate earlier this year where the gate slants 14 feet for the outside posts instead of the previous 7 feet. Does it matter? Sure does, take a look at these stats through June 30th. With the old gate, post positions 7 through 9 won only 18% of the time. New gate? The win percentage is 30%. Post positions for all practical purposes are even. You no longer can automatically eliminate any post positions.

The question to be asked is when are other tracks going to introduce this gate and can something like this work for the half and mile tracks? It will make the product more enticing to wager on. Time to get to work on this.

For those of you that can play the Little Brown Jug Future wager, the past performance pages for the 23 selected horses are now available here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a slanted gate, especially on smaller sized tracks. Since my favorite bet is the straight WIN bet,I believe in the long run the slanted gate will lead to overall better WIN prices, because more trotters would be in play, like thoroughbreds.

Anonymous said...

I am indifferent about the slanted gate. To me it now is giving the horses on the outside more of an advantage. I watch and the horses with post 1 and 2 usually get shuffled way to the back now. So to me its helping the outside while hurting the inside. IDK that just my opinion